Ketogenic Diet Basics
The Keto diet, as a rule, is very low in carbs, high in fat and moderate in protein. When following a Ketogenic diet, carbs are typically reduced to under 50 grams per day, though stricter and looser versions of the diet exist.
Fats should replace the majority of cut carbs and deliver approximately 75% of your total calorie intake.
Proteins should account for around 20% of energy needs, while carbs are usually restricted to 5%.
Keto diets reduce hunger and increase satiety, which can be particularly helpful when trying to lose weight.
Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan
Keto-Friendly Foods to Eat
When following a Ketogenic diet, meals and snacks should center around the following foods:
· Organic whole eggs make the best choice.
📷 Fatty fish:
· Wild-caught salmon
· Grass-fed beef
· organ meats
📷 Full-fat dairy:
📷 Full- fat cheese:
· goat cheese
· cream cheese
📷 Nuts and seeds:
· Macadamia nuts
· pumpkin seeds
📷 Nut butter:
· Natural peanut
· cashew butters
📷 Healthy fats:
· Coconut oil
· olive oil
· avocado oil
· coconut butter
· sesame oil
· Whole avocados can be added to almost any meal or snack
📷 Non-starchy vegetables:
· lemon juice
· Fresh herbs and spices
Foods to Avoid
Avoid foods rich in carbs while following a Keto diet.
The following foods should be restricted:
📷 Bread and baked goods:
· White bread
· whole-wheat bread
📷 Sweets and sugary foods:
· ice cream
· maple syrup
· agave syrup
· Coconut sugar
📷 Sweetened beverages:
· Soda juice
· sweetened teas
· Sports drinks
· Spaghetti and noodles
📷 Grains and grain products:
· breakfast cereals
📷 Starchy vegetables:
· sweet potatoes
· butternut squash
📷 Beans and legumes:
· Black beans
· Kidney beans
📷 High-carb sauces:
· Barbecue sauce
· sugary salad dressings
· Dipping sauces
📷 Certain alcoholic beverages:
· sugary mixed drinks
Though carbs should be restricted, low-glycemic fruits such as berries can be enjoyed in limited amounts as long as you’re maintaining a Keto-friendly macronutrient range.
Be sure to choose healthy food sources and steer clear of processed foods and unhealthy fats.
The following items should be avoided:
📷 Unhealthy fats:
· Vegetable oils such as canola and corn oil
📷 Processed foods:
· Fast food
· packaged foods
· processed meats such as hot dogs and lunch meats
📷 Diet foods:
· Foods that contain artificial colors, preservatives and sweeteners such as sugar alcohols and aspartame.
Sugar can be found in a wide variety of beverages including juice, soda, iced tea and coffee drinks.
While on a Ketogenic diet, high-carb drinks must be avoided just like high-carb foods.
Keto-friendly beverage choices include:
· Water is the best choice for hydration and should be consumed throughout the day.
📷 Sparkling water:
· Sparkling water can make an excellent soda replacement
📷 Unsweetened coffee:
· Try heavy cream to add flavor to your cup of joe.
📷 Unsweetened green tea:
· Green tea is delicious and provides many health benefits
A Sample Keto Menu for One Week
Breakfast: Two eggs fried in pastured butter served with sautéed greens.
Lunch: A bunless grass-fed burger topped with cheese, mushrooms and avocado atop a bed of greens.
Dinner: Pork chops with green beans sautéed in coconut oil.
Breakfast: Mushroom omelet.
Lunch: Tuna salad with celery and tomato atop a bed of greens.
Dinner: Roast chicken with cream sauce and sautéed broccoli.
Breakfast: Bell pepper stuffed with cheese and eggs.
Lunch: Arugula salad with hard-boiled eggs, turkey, avocado and blue cheese.
Dinner: Grilled salmon with spinach sautéed in coconut oil.
Breakfast: Full-fat yogurt topped with Keto granola.
Lunch: Steak bowl with cauliflower rice, cheese, herbs, avocado and salsa.
Dinner: Bison steak with cheesy broccoli.
Breakfast: Baked avocado egg boats.
Lunch: Caesar salad with chicken.
Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables.
Breakfast: Cauliflower toast topped with cheese and avocado.
Lunch: Bunless salmon burgers topped with pesto.
Dinner: Meatballs served with zucchini noodles and parmesan cheese.
Breakfast: Coconut milk chia pudding topped with coconut and walnuts.
Lunch: Cobb salad made with greens, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, cheese and turkey.
Dinner: Coconut chicken curry.
A Simple Ketogenic Shopping List
The following is a simple Ketogenic shopping list that can guide you when perusing the grocery aisles:
📷 Meat and poultry:
· Beef, chicken, turkey and pork (choose organic, pasture-raised options whenever possible).
· Fatty fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel and herring are best.
· Oysters, shrimp and scallops.
· Purchase omega-3-enriched or pastured eggs whenever possible.
📷 Full-fat dairy:
· Unsweetened yogurt, butter, heavy cream and sour cream.
· Coconut and avocado oils.
· Buy a mixture of ripe and unripe avocados so that your supply will last.
· Brie, cream cheese, cheddar and goat cheese.
📷 Frozen or fresh berries:
· Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.
· Macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios.
· Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds.
📷 Nut butters:
· Almond butter, peanut butter.
📷 Fresh or frozen low-carb vegetables:
· Mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, greens, peppers, onions and tomatoes.
· Sea salt, pepper, salsa, herbs, garlic, vinegar, mustard, olives and spices.
The Bottom Line
The Ketogenic diet relies on a very low-carb routine. Carbs are typically restricted to under 50 grams per day, replaced mostly with fat and moderate amounts of protein.
A healthy Ketogenic diet should revolve around high-fat, low-carb food choices and restrict highly processed items and unhealthy fats. Keto-friendly beverage options must be sugar-free. Consider water, sparkling water or unsweetened green tea and coffee.
A Ketogenic meal plan, like any healthy diet, should include whole foods and many fiber-rich, low-carb vegetables. Choose healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, olive oil and pastured butter to increase the fat content of dishes.
Keto-friendly snacks should be high in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs. Increase your fiber intake by snacking on sliced, low-carb vegetables with a high-fat dipping sauce.
Preparing a shopping list can help you decide what foods will fit into your Ketogenic meal plan. Fill your cart with meat, poultry, eggs, low-carb veggies, full-fat dairy and healthy fats.